It makes seven existing merchant republics playable: Venice, Amalfi, Genoa, Pisa, Gotland, Ancona, and the Hansa, as well as custom-created republics from non-ironman mode saves. The player plays a Patrician - the head of a merchant family.
The DLC allows the player to play as a Patrician in a merchant republic, but all the other changes were rolled into the free patch.
The launch price was $9.99/€9.99.
It was met with generally favorable reviews and has attained a metascore of 81 on Metacritic.
- New and different type of gameplay, with city holdings as province capitals, lower demesne limit and usage of mercs for warfare.
- Trade empire management by building and improving trade post holdings and controlling trade zones in the sea lanes and coasts of Europe.
- New Embargo CB, to defend trade posts against rival Republics and greedy feudal lords
- Republic Casus Belli to seize coastal cities with a trade post, which can be followed up to size counties with a city.
- New patrician elective succession law: Patrician families compete for the coveted position of Doge and the leadership of the Republic. It is possible to compensate for lack of age and Prestige by investing money in a campaign fund.
- Losing the election is not game over, thanks to the family palace holding.
- Events related to feuds with other Patrician families and plots to seize Trade Posts from rivals
- New Republican skin for the interface.
- Unique Clothes and ship models for Republics.