The Retinues tab under the Military screen
Retinues are regiments of 500 men which, unlike levies, form a standing army for each ruler, and part of Legacy of Rome DLC.
One must pay a fee to hire a regiment, but after this initial fee they are free; they only require money to reinforce.
They do not need to be dismissed to start wars and do not cost money to maintain. As a ruler's retinue capacity increases, their normal levies decrease in size, gradually making retinues a more important part of the army.
In patch 1.07, which introduced retinues, a courtier was generated in a ruler's court for each regiment they recruited. This functionality was removed in patch 1.08.
Each ruler can only have a retinue of a limited size, dependent on their retinue cap. Different troop types take up differently-sized portions of the cap, with more powerful types (such as heavy cavalry) using more.
The retinue cap is given by the formula:
Retinue cap = (6 * RealmHoldings + BuildingBonus) * (1 + 2 * MilitaryOrganizationRank)
- RealmHoldings is the number of holdings in the realm.
- BuildingBonus comes from specific buildings:
- Training Grounds in a Castle give 20 cap per level.
- Garrisons in a trade post give 20, 30 and 50 base retinue cap at each level.
- The Military Warehouse buildings in a patrician's Family Palace give 200, 400 and 600 retinue cap.
- MilitaryOrganizationRank is the Military Organization technology in the ruler's capital.
If a retinue unit is completely wiped out (ie. all members killed in battle) then it will be disbanded and the retinue cap usage will be decreased by the amount that had been used by the now-destroyed retinue unit. This can be used to reduce your retinue cap usage in order to reconstitute your retinue with different units.
A purchased regiment starts out with a single man and gradually reinforces up to a full 500 men.
If the retinue takes casualties, each regiment will reinforce once more, until they are back to full strength.
If a ruler cannot afford the (sometimes steep) cost, reinforcement can be halved or stopped completely on the retinue tab:
- normal reinforcement rate: 5% per month.
- half reinforcement rate: 2.5% per month.
- no reinforcement.
List of retinues
Retinue regiments can be divided into two types:
- Generic retinues are available to all rulers
- Cultural retinues are specific to the ruler's culture.
|| Initial cost (gold)
|| Retinue cap usage
|| Monthly reinforcement cost
(gold per 500 men)
| Unique Effect
|| +20% Heavy Infantry Defense, +40% Archer Offense
|| +20% Pikemen Defense, +40% Archer Offense
|| +30% Heavy Cavalry Offense, +30% Light Cavalry Offense
|| +60% Archer Offense
Cultural retinues receive special bonuses, which are the same as granted by the highest-level cultural buildings.
This list details the different types of retinues available. It is correct as of patch 1.08: