Prosperity is a mechanism that allow provinces which have not been besieged, raided, or ravaged by disease for a long time to gain certain bonuses—such as extra tax income and faster replenishment of levies. Independent dukes or higher can set one of their Demesne provinces to be their Crown Focus for additional yearly increase and events. Prosperity requires The Reaper's Due DLC.
Levels of Prosperity
Rulers can set a province as their Crown Focus if they are:
- Duke tier or higher
- Not nomadic
- Any of:
A crown focus province gains a small bonus to its hidden prosperity value each year, as long as it is not occupied or experiencing an epidemic disease.
A crown focus province that already has a high prosperity level is eligible for special events. These events are more frequent with high stewardship and learning skills.
- At prosperity level 2, a province with a different culture can be converted for 100% of yearly income. It also converts the province's religion and removes the nomad agitation modifier, if relevant.
- At prosperity level 3, a new settlement slot can be created for 250% of yearly income.
- At prosperity level 3, various positive modifiers can be added to the province.
Each province has a hidden prosperity value that can increase in small increments. When it reaches 100/250/500, the prosperity level increases.
Every province has a chance to gain points yearly. The chance increases with owner stewardship skill and having a trade post, and decreases with war (especially being the primary attacker) or tribal government. The amount of this passive increase depends on the terrain, with coastal provinces getting a boost if they contain a city.
The ambition to "See the Realm Prosper":
- Enables some flavor events that increase prosperity
- If peace is successfully maintained for 5 years, the ambition succeeds and adds 35 points to every eligible province in the entire realm (not just demesne!)
Councilors can increase prosperity:
- Certain job actions add 6 points when successful:
- Marshal: train troops
- Steward: oversee construction
- Spymaster: study technology
- Spiritual: advance cultural technology
- Passive Job flavour events for council members:
- Any councilor with 12+ skill and smart (quick , genius , or shrewd ) can trigger a "good at job" event
- Marshal or steward with 15+ skill can offer to improve capital
Many peacetime decisions increase prosperity:
- Most feasts and festivals add 8 points
- A completed tournament adds 15 points
- Several Old Gods Ancestor Worship Events increase prosperity
- A fleet returning with loot adds 12 points in your capital. Limited to once every 5 years (per province).
- Several events from Way of Life, with the Business focus
- Random opportunity to perform charity, if you have a province with a Hospital
- Random opportunity to invest in provincial apothecaries, if you have a Court Physician
Loss of prosperity
Disease, looting, and sieges can wipe the progress toward the next prosperity level, and sometimes even drop an entire level.