Prestige is increased in a variety of ways. Any given title will gradually increase the holder's prestige. A high Diplomacy skill will slowly increase Prestige, as will having a lot of vassals. Creating or usurping titles will also give a lump sum of Prestige, and some traits give Prestige per month.
Winning battles and sieges earns significant prestige, divided primarily among the flank leaders, but also among the unit owners. Wars fought under most casus belli give a significant prestige boost to the winner and major participants, and cost the loser prestige.
- Held titles and direct vassal titles
- Some council positions: councilor, marshal, or steward
- Most honorary titles, along with automatic minor titles such as ruler consort
- Muslims also gain monthly prestige based on the titles of landed relatives
- Nomads also gain monthly prestige if their capital is on a holy site (of any religion)
- Tribal rulers can gain monthly prestige by assigning their steward to Build Legend.
- Patricians get 1 Prestige per month for every 2000 gold they have (caps out at 6000 gold).
- Dynasty controls holy order
- Some traits: Proud , Scarred , Born in the purple , Augustus , Kshatriya , shaivist_hindu, "Viking" (along with the upgrades "Ravager" and "Sea King/Queen"), Renowned Physician
- Small monthly gain from Diplomacy skill
- Concubines below age 45 or extra wives
Lump sum gain:
- Creating or usurping titles
- As a commander, one point of prestige per hundred enemy troops slaughtered
- Winning a war, or having contributed to a war won by your side
- Marriage prestige effects, when marrying into a prestigious dynasty or higher rank
- Taking a concubine of noble birth (+25 prestige per rank of parent)
The amount of prestige gained by creating, usurping or destroying a title, as well as the monthly gains from holding a title, are given in the following table:
|Name||Creation||Destruction||Usurp||Hold directly||Vassal holds|
Effects of prestige
- +1 opinion bonus from most characters for every 200 prestige, for a maximum of +10 at 2000 prestige. (Theocracy rulers care about piety instead.)
- Determines heir under some succession laws:
- Open Elective (along with age)
- Patrician Elective (along with age and funding)
- Nomadic Succession
- Some important decisions require a minimum prestige, without spending it.
- Creating CM custom titles requires 1000 prestige for a kingdom and 8000 prestige for an empire.
- Germanic Prepared Invasion requires 1000 prestige
- Added to score upon death, along with piety
- Construct buildings in tribal holdings or nomadic capital
- Tribal rulers can raise a significant number of event troops for 500 prestige
- Some powerful CBs cost prestige, such as Tribal Invasion and Nomad Invasion
- Decisions to convert religion/culture
Dynasty Prestige is a measure of the accomplishments of an entire dynasty. It is visible by going to the dynasty screen from the character window. At birth, a character's personal prestige is set to 1/5 of their dynasty prestige. At marriage, characters gain 1/10 of their spouse's dynasty prestige (making AI more willing to marry into prestigious dynasties). Both of those fractions are alterable in defines.lua
Dynasty prestige is calculated by summing up all titles held by living dynasty members plus those held by deceased ones. The same title will count multiple times if held by several dynasty members in succession, so if A holds a kingdom and his son B later inherits it, the dynasty will be credited with two held kingdoms and 40 prestige. The amount of prestige per title is: