From Crusader Kings II Wiki
Piety is a measure of how pious a character is. It increases by a variety of mechanics. It contributes to Score on character's death.
- Invite and appoint a lord spiritual with high learning skill:
- You get a small monthly piety gain based on state learning, increased by Majesty technology
- If tribal, having your lord spiritual Build Zeal gives +0.05 piety per skill per month. With 20 learning this comes out to +1 piety/month.
- If zealots are raised and you are not fighting a holy war, dismiss them within a year to avoid piety loss.
- Large gain by giving money to holy orders, or allowing courtiers (brothers or sons of rulers) to join them.
- Granting titles to the clergy, scaled by the rank of the title
- Tutor two children. Some childhood personality events let you "pray for the child" if you are not cynical.
- Some traits award Piety per month. Zealous and Humble give 1 Piety/month, while Content and Chaste give 0.5 piety/month.
- Some temple buildings give piety to the holder. The holder also provides piety to their liege, depending on opinion.
- Releasing prisoners of your religion gives 5 piety.
- Releasing prisoners gives piety if they hold titles (?)
- Install dynasty members as religious heads or holy order captains.
- Gives all same-religion rulers of your dynasty (of count rank and higher) +1 monthly piety and +2 monthly prestige.
- For the Papacy, see controlling the College of Cardinals.
- For holy orders, you can murder a captain when you see that your kinsman has been (randomly?) selected as the heir. A kinsmen who is second or third in line will instead get a claim, which you can press (if the order is landed?).
- Christians: Go on a pilgrimage. Catholics can also buy indulgences from the Pope.
- Muslims: Sadaqah charity, observe Ramadan, go on Hajj, choose humble trait in Hajj, hold mosques in your demesne, follow the Ashari school (if Sunni).
- Jews: Observe Passover.
- Pagans: Blot/Jarilo/Ukonjuhla/Uzagavenes celebration. (Not Nerge, which isn't religious.) Win county conquests and subjugation wars.
- Zoroastrians: Marry close relatives.
- Dharmic religions: Diwali/Kali Puja festival. Jains receive purity (equivalent to piety) when at peace.
Effects of piety
- Having a lot of Piety makes clergy like you more (+1 per 50 Piety, to a max of +10 at 500 piety)
- For Muslims, makes all characters of the same religion like you more
- Gaining the "Paragon of Virtue" ambition requires amassing 500 Piety.
- Creating or usurping titles costs less wealth the more pious you are (down to 1/2 price at 1000 piety)
- For religious heads, increases moral authority
- Requesting favors from your religious head costs piety:
- Some wars cost piety:
- Hiring a holy order costs a lump sum of Piety.
- Creating a Kingdom costs 200 Piety.
- Creating an Empire costs 400 Piety.
- Execution (except of heathens) reduces your Piety.
- Reforming a pagan faith costs 750 Piety.
- Muslims need 50 piety to change demesne laws and 100 piety to change crown laws.