Effects of Decadence
Depending of your decadence level , your realm can get positive and negative effects. These effects apply to demesne income and troop morale. At 25% decadence it will not have any effect. Go below that and you will get increased demesne income and troop morale. Go above 25% and you'll get decreased demesne income and troop morale. If you have above 75% decadence, you might be invaded by tribes who want to usurp your title!
From patch 2.1.1 onwards, Decadence is generated by characters with the Decadent trait. The trait is granted to male characters over 16, and characters with the trait generate about 2% Decandence per month for their dynasty. Lowborn characters do not have Decadence as they do not have a Dynasty.
- Sinful traits (Envious , Lustful , Wroth , etc.)
- Having a small amount of land, or being unlanded
- Other negative traits (Craven , Cruel , etc)
Some events triggered by bad traits (Cruel , Cynical , Arbitrary etc.) will also increase your decadence by 2% per event.
From the Religion tab, you can see the head of your Religion (Sunni/Shi'a Caliph), along with any active Jihads called by your Caliph. Below that is a list of your unlanded or insufficiently landed dynasty members. From here you can address your decadent dynasty members in a few ways.
Land Grants to Dynasty Members - The easiest and most beneficial way to not only reduce how much decadence per month you receive, but also one of the few ways you can lower your current decadence. The higher level the title the more decadence will be removed. Note that it's scaled to current Decadence.
Imprisonment - Another slightly more tyrannical approach is simply to purge the decadent members of your dynasty by granting them an indefinite stay in your dungeon. Note that only characters that have Fatwa declared on them can be imprisoned for this reason.
Holy War/Jihad - Calling a Holy War and participating will usually remove large amount of decadence (50-100%) depending on your war contribution. The decadence will only be removed at the end of the war however so plan accordingly.
Crusades - Successfully repelling a crusade will also lower decadence depending on war contribution.
Ramadan - Available through your decisions window Ramadan is a great event chain to lower your decadence and can reduce decadence by 5 points.
Furusiayaa Tournament - Available through your decisions window the Furusiayaa Tournament will lower your decadence by 5 points.
Events from Good Traits - There's also a small chance to lose Decadence through various events. As previously mentioned these generally require good traits to happen.
Sieges and Battles - Decadence gained per month will also go down by a small but noticeable amount whenever you or a dynasty member participates in battles or sieges. As such, you should generally make sure either your character or a dynasty member is leading the army.
Straighten Up Decadent Relatives - Decadent relatives can be "straightened up" via a button in the Religion tab. If they accept, they will immediately lose the Decadent trait. If they refuse, you can either gain a reason to imprison them or, if you have high Diplomacy, Intrigue, or Learning, you can either persuade them further, scare them, or debate them, respectively. Even if they re-gain the trait, you get the option to straighten them up again.
- Give titles to members of your dynasty to avoid gaining the Decadent trait. (Note: Landed characters will marry outside your control, a number of wives equal to their rank. Landing family members that are not the desired heir, especially with duchies, is generally self-destructive in the long-term.)
- The "Observe Ramadan" and tournament decisions are a great way to reduce Decadence.
- Random events will increase decadence. Traits such as Cruel, Cynical, or Arbitrary will increase the chance of these events happening, so any male family members apart from you or your desired heir should be imprisoned at your earliest convenience.
- Characters with the Ashari trait will never gain the Decadent trait.
- Try to get 0% Decadence.
- If you can't reach 0% Decadence, try to stay under 75% Decadence.