Parties can improve diplomacy skill and opinion in many ways. All attendees get +10 opinion toward the host. Two events let you form new friendships (+100 opinion). Several events give the Cheery character modifier, which gives +10 general opinion for 2 years.
By partying three times with this focus, you can level up to:
- Carouser (+1 diplomacy)
- Dedicated Carouser (+2 diplomacy)
- A choice of lifestyle traits:
- Hedonist (+2 diplomacy, +1 intrigue)
- Socializer (+3 diplomacy)
By playing games at parties, you can level up to:
- Apprentice Boardgamer (+1 diplomacy)
- Game master (+2 diplomacy, +1 martial).
Hosting a party
- Much more likely: your courtiers, Drunkard , Hedonist , Decadent
- More likely: your direct vassals, Lustful , Gregarious , Gluttonous
- Less likely: Stressed , Chaste , Celibate , Paranoid
- Much less likely: major disease, Depressed , opinion below -25, Temperate , Shy
- Never: rivals; Muslims who are not decadent/hedonist/drunkard
- Decline and condemn decadence
- Available for Zealous Muslims and for Indian court gurus
- 5x if brave or opinion below -50
If someone accepts your invitation, their opinion of you increases by 10 (Carousing) and they will attend your party.
If someone declines your invitation, you lose 3 prestige. If someone declines and condemns decadence, you lose 10 prestige instead. In both cases, for two years you will have -10 opinion of them (Declined Invitation) and cannot invite them again during this time.
After 3-4 months, the invited guests arrive at your party. The party lasts about a month. It will be cancelled if nobody accepts your invitation or if you go to war.
One random event will happen at your party, affecting the host and one or all guests. By limiting your guest list, you can make some events impossible, thus making desired events more likely.
A * indicates that players can decide to override their character's inclination. This may cause their character to gain a bad trait due to cognitive dissonance.
End of the party
This event triggers for the host and all guests.
- Gain 20 prestige
- 30% chance to lose stressed /depressed
- Cannot host another party for 500 days (even guests!?).
- A choice of how to level up, if eligible:
- If focus is Carousing, you can level up to Carouser (+1 diplomacy) and then Dedicated Carouser (+2 diplomacy)
- If focus is Carousing, and you are already a Dedicated Carouser, you can upgrade to the Hedonist lifestyle trait (+2 diplomacy, +1 intrigue)
- If focus is Carousing, and you are already a Dedicated Carouser, you can upgrade to the Socializer lifestyle trait (+3 diplomacy)
- If Apprentice Boardgamer (+1 diplomacy), and you played games at this party, you can upgrade to the Game master lifestyle trait (+2 diplomacy, +1 martial).
If your diplomacy is less than 8, these events can trigger, each with a MTTH of 280 months:
- The Mirror (once per lifetime)
- The Suicide (once per lifetime) (not in hiding)
- Town Crier (not in hiding)
- Foreign Cultures
- Old Diplomat (not Indian religion)
Get Apprentice Boardgamer for +1 diplomacy:
- Likely if you invite a game master .
- Guaranteed if you only invite characters who are already your friends and cannot trigger special events.
Get Cheery for +10 general opinion:
- The safe way is to become lustful /hedonist and invite a lustful /hedonist character with the potential for mutual attraction.
- Guaranteed if you only invite someone eligible who is already your friend and cannot trigger special events.
- Repeat every 2 years.
- To become lustful , use the Seduction focus first.
- To become hedonist , throw 3 parties and choose the lifestyle.
- With powerful vassals.
- With councilors, so they are likely to pick the Loyalist stance and support your actions in council votes.
- With an eligible skilled character, if you have any skill between 5 and 9.
- With a celibate character, if you already have 2 kids and don't want more. This requires not having a lifestyle trait, even though celibate is no longer a lifestyle trait.
- With courtiers of other religions, as there is an event that can fire to convert them to your religion or you to their religion.
Hold large parties for opinion boosts and guest health:
- Invite all vassals, along with their adult heirs, for +5 opinion from all guests.
- Invite all family members who are stressed or depressed , and possibly their spouses, in order to increase their health and fertility.
- Just don't invite someone who might eat you.