Adventurers are landless characters who have recruited an army to raid, to push their claims, or to carve out a new realm.
The Old Gods adventurers
When The Old Gods DLC is active, courtiers who meet certain requirements may announce their intent to become adventurers. The target will be warned, giving them two years to prepare against, murder, or disqualify the adventurer (e.g. by granting land).
Upon becoming an adventurer, the character leaves their court to lead an army from the same location. They gain a duchy-level "Host" title and several courtiers to use as commanders. Adventurer army size scales with the strength of the targeted realm, making them dangerous even to a large realm.
On success, adventurers become normal independent rulers, and keep their event troops until death. On failure, they are imprisoned by and become courtiers of the target, allowing the defender to banish them for wealth or execute them to annul the threat.
- Male or liege's realm allows female adventurers (Full Status of Women, fully equal succession, Cathar, or Messalian)
- Age between 16 and 50 inclusive
- Not incapable
- Not imprisoned
- Not a ruler
- No spouse is a ruler
- Not heir to any title
- Diplomacy at least 7
- Health at least 4
- Not Content
- Not Craven
- Not already planning an adventure
Title claimants may pursue an adventure for their title if they meet the general requirements and have a claim on a landed title:
- The claimed title is held (e.g. cannot pursue the Holy Roman Empire if it does not exist)
- The holder of the claimed title is independent (ensures targeting of top liege)
- The holder of the claimed title does not have any higher-tier title (exception: can claim kingdoms from emperors)
- If the holder of the claimed title is a merchant republic, the claimed title must not be one that (de jure) contains the capital
- If claimed title's holder is the adventurer's liege, the adventurer must be ambitious . In this case, the planner will immediately flee to another realm in order to prepare safely.
MTTH for claimants
The mean time to happen for a claimant adventure is 50 years, modified by the following:
|Denied title||0.2||10 years|
|Demon child||0.2||10 years|
|Diplomacy at least 12||0.75||37.5 years|
|Born in the purple||0.75||37.5 years|
These effects accumulate with each other, for example a courtier who is ambitious , proud , and slothful will have a MTTH of 50 years * 0.5 * 0.85 * 1.5 = 31.875 years of starting an adventure.
Other courtiers may attempt to carve out a duchy from a foreign realm. The planner must meet the general requirements, plus:
- Not eligible for a claimant adventure (with the exception of the requirement to be ambitious)
- Father, mother or grandparent is count tier or above, or were when they died
- Martial skill at least 9
- Any of:
- Culture group is North Germanic, West Germanic or Altaic
- Culture is Norman, Frankish, Breton or Catalan
- Culture is Hungarian and date is before 1066
- Demon child
They immediately pick a random target ruler, subject to the following requirements:
- Not same culture as planner
- Not liege (or above) of planner
- Controls a province that is:
- Not part of e_scandinavia or d_bjarmia
- Province neighbors the planner's realm
- Province is coastal and within 800 distance, and the adventurer is not Altaic or Hungarian
When launching the war, the adventurer chooses a specific province, subject to the same requirements except for distance. They then declare war for the duchy containing that province, using the special conquest CB
MTTH for conquerors
The base MTTH is 100 years, modified by:
|Norman culture before 1250||0.5||50 years|
|North Germanic culture group before 1066||0.5||50 years|
|Denied title||0.2||20 years|
|Demon child||0.2||20 years|
|Diplomacy at least 12||0.75||75 years|
|Martial at 12||0.75||75 years|
|Any liege of planner is human||3.0||300 years|
|Top liege of planner is emperor||3.0||300 years|
These modifiers are cumulative.
Horse Lords adventurers
- Altaic characters from nomadic realms, using recruited steppe troops
- Germanic Pagans, using recruited viking troops and ships
If a character is both, they get only steppe troops, but they do get ships.
He can recruit additional foot troops for 75 wealth, up to an era-defined soft cap. With 150 wealth, he may seek to purchase a dynast's extra county, becoming a vassal if purchasing from a higher-tier ruler.
A ruler can offer to grant him a county or duchy, using the "Settle Adventurer" interaction. The adventurer will probably decline if the title is not a duchy. Coastal provinces are preferred, but provinces with access to major rivers are acceptable as well.
Otherwise, the adventurer will eventually switch from raiding to invading, targeting a duchy with the duchy_adventure CB. If he was denied a title, he has a chance to target his previous liege (at the capital). But usually, he will target a realm he has recently looted.
A nomad who loses his last county will convert his clan title into a landless adventurer title. All of his manpower is converted into reinforcing raiding troops.
Landless nomads can recruit additional mounted troops for 75 wealth, up to an era-defined soft cap.
Landless clans disband upon ruler death.